For a number of years, CEPA has been actively involved in providing ongoing consultancy advice to a range of National Health Service (NHS) stakeholders in the UK. This includes Acute Trusts, institutions involved in commissioning, and the NHS economic regulator, Monitor.
Our work involves developing the rationale to support change when it is in the best interests of patients, providing economic and financial analysis to support the design and implementation of initiatives. In particular, our work focuses on:
- Undertaking in-depth analysis of government policy initiatives and funding plans, including on issues associated with public private partnerships (PPP) and the Private Finance Initiative (PFI);
- Identifying drivers of financial position, in the context of individual organisational circumstances as well as the wider market and regulatory environment;
- Supporting the development of business cases for planned reforms, including regulatory interventions;
- Developing strategies and plans for managing service demand in different care settings and identifying the related financial and capacity implications;
- Testing and supporting the implementation of the most appropriate and financially sustainable service reconfigurations in regional health economies; and
- Supporting institutions in the health sector to improve their governance processes through information sharing and production of board/ committee technical papers.
We work very closely with our clients in developing analytical approaches and solutions to the challenges that they face, ensuring learning is shared and methodologies transferred.
As experienced applied/ regulatory economists and institutional development experts, our team members have led multi-stakeholder consultations and facilitated the work of special purpose task teams and working groups. Our staff have the expertise and experience to provide bespoke economic, financial and strategic advice to UK health stakeholders in discrete projects or on a secondment basis.
Within the UK health sector, we have worked with a range of stakeholders. Clients include but are not limited to:
- NHS South West London
- NHS Southwark
- NHS Trusts and PCTs in SE London
- Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
- SE London Acute Commissioning Unit (SELACU)
Examples of the assignments on which we have worked in health in the UK include: